Thin Red Line

Thin Red Line
The Thin Red Line by Robert Gibb

Monday 3 June 2013

Last 'veteran' of WW1?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-16929653

I had an interesting conversation with my wife a couple of days ago in response to this story, which happened in February 2012.  I'm quite interested in the last veterans of different conflicts so I often look them up online, and Florence Green is listed as the last survivor of the First World War.

For the uninitiated, she served as a mess steward at King's Lynn in Norfolk during the war as part of the WRAF (Women's Royal Air Force). She never left the country or was exposed to any more danger than any other civilian in Britain at the time.

I argued that it was silly for her to be considered the last 'veteran' of the war, considering that she had never left the country and had never been involved in any danger, and that the (dubious) honour of being listed on Wikipedia as such should have fallen to Claud Choules, the last surviving 'combat' veteran who served in the Royal Navy during the Great War and witnessed the scuttling of the German fleet at Scapa Flow.

However, my wife argued that I was being somewhat chauvinist and that I should recognise that Mrs Green played an important part in the war, and that it is good that the story of people on the Home front is being recognised.  I came around to her point of view in the end - after all, she was the last surviving person to have worn uniform in the Great War in the entire world.  I suppose that she is also emblematic of the great social change that the war wrought in Britain, and it would be silly not to recognise that.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment